- sameness of feeling; affinity between persons or of one person for another
- Now Rare agreement in qualities; harmony; accord
- a mutual liking or understanding arising from sameness of feeling
- an entering into, or the ability to enter into, another person's mental state, feelings, emotions, etc.
- pity or compassion felt for another's trouble, suffering, etc.
- [often pl.] a feeling of approval of or agreement with an idea, cause, etc.
- Physics a relation or harmony between bodies of such a nature that vibrations in one cause sympathetic vibrations in the other or others
- Physiol. a relation between body parts of such a nature that a disorder, pain, etc. in one induces a similar effect in another
Origin of sympathyClassical Latin sympathia from Classical Greek sympatheia from syn-, together + pathos, feeling: see pathos