- a spool-like toy attached to one end of a string upon which it may be made to spin up and down
- Slang a person regarded as stupid, ineffectual, inept, eccentric, etc.
Origin: from uncertain or unknown; perhaps : the toy came to the United States from the Philippines
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. yo-yos yo-yos
- A toy consisting of a flattened spool wound with string that is spun down from and reeled up to the hand by motions of the wrist.
- Informal One that undergoes frequent abrupt shifts or reversals, as of opinion or emotion; a vacillator.
- Slang A stupid or objectionable person.
Origin: Originally a trademark.