- The definition of a volunteer is a person who donates his time or efforts for a cause or organization without being paid.
A person who works in a soup kitchen for free is an example of a volunteer.
- To volunteer is defined as to give without being asked and without being paid.
When you go work in a soup kitchen for free, this is an example of a situation where you volunteer.
volunteer definition by Webster's New World
- a person who chooses freely to do or offer to do something
- a person who chooses freely to enter naval or military service, without being compelled to do so by law
- Bot. a volunteer plant
- a person who chooses freely to enter into any transaction with no promise of compensation
- a person to whom property is transferred without valuable consideration
Origin: earlier voluntier ; from obsolete French voluntaire ; from Classical Latin (miles)voluntarius, voluntary (soldier)
- composed of volunteers, as an army
- serving as a volunteer, usually without compensation
- of a volunteer or volunteers
- Bot. growing from seed that has fallen naturally to the ground, not planted by a person
volunteer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person who performs or offers to perform a service voluntarily: an information booth staffed by volunteers; hospital volunteers.
- Law a. A person who renders aid, performs a service, or assumes an obligation voluntarily.b. A person who holds property under a deed made without consideration.
- Botany A cultivated plant growing from self-sown or accidentally dropped seed.
- Being, consisting of, or done by volunteers: volunteer firefighters; volunteer tutoring.
- Botany Growing from self-sown or accidentally dropped seed. Used of a cultivated plant or crop.
- To perform or offer to perform a service of one's own free will.
- To do charitable or helpful work without pay: Many retirees volunteer in community service and day care centers.
Origin: Obsolete French voluntaire, from Old French, voluntary, from Latin voluntārius; see voluntary.