- The definition of a vestibule is an enclosed anteroom or reception area, or a body cavity leading to another cavity.
- The little room outside of the main bank where you enter and where the ATM is kept is an example of a vestibule.
- The central cavity of the inner ear that leads to the eardrum is an example of a vestibule.
- a small entrance hall or room, either to a building or to a larger room
- ☆ the enclosed passage between passenger cars of a train, with doors for entrance or exit
- Anat., Zool. any cavity or space serving as an entrance to another cavity or space: the vestibule of the inner ear leads into the cochlea
Origin: Fr from Classical Latin vestibulum, entrance hall
- vestibular adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A small entrance hall or passage between the outer door and the interior of a house or building.
- An enclosed area at the end of a passenger car on a railroad train.
- Anatomy A cavity, chamber, or channel that leads to or is an entrance to another cavity: the vestibule to the ear.
Origin: Latin vestibulum.
vestibule - Medical Definition
vestibule - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.