foyer[fo̵i′ər; also fo̵i′ā′, -yā′; fo̵i ā′, -yā′]
- The definition of a foyer is an entry hall or open area.
- The entry hall in your apartment house is an example of a foyer.
- The large open area in a theater before you go into the auditorium is an example of a foyer.
The foyer of a house.
an entrance hall or lobby, esp. in a theater, hotel, or apartment house
Origin of foyerFrench lobby, greenroom, literally , hearth ; from Medieval Latin focarium ; from focarius, of the hearth ; from Classical Latin focus, hearth: see focus
- A lobby or anteroom, as of a theater or hotel.
- An entrance hall; a vestibule.
Origin of foyerFrench, social center, from Old French foier, fireplace, from Vulgar Latin *focārium, from Late Latin, neuter of focārius, of the hearth (unattested sense), from Latin focus, fire.