- The definition of a foyer is an entry hall or open area.
- The entry hall in your apartment house is an example of a foyer.
- The large open area in a theater before you go into the auditorium is an example of a foyer.
The foyer of a house.
foyer definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French lobby, greenroom, literally , hearth ; from Midieval Latin focarium ; from focarius, of the hearth ; from Classical Latin focus, hearth: see focus
foyer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A lobby or anteroom, as of a theater or hotel.
- An entrance hall; a vestibule.
Origin: French, social center, from Old French foier, fireplace, from Vulgar Latin *focārium, from Late Latin, neuter of focārius, of the hearth (unattested sense), from Latin focus, fire.