Variant of vertex
- the highest point; summit; apex, as the top point of the sun, moon, etc. above the horizon
- Anat., Zool. the top or crown of the head
- the point of intersection of the two sides of an angle
- a corner point of a triangle, square, cube, parallelepiped, or other geometric figure bounded by lines, planes, or lines and planes
- Optics the point at the center of a lens at which the axis of symmetry intersects the curve of the lens
Origin: L, the top, properly the turning point from vertere, to turn: see verse
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.