- Turbulence is instability, unsteadiness or disorder.
- When air moves in an unstable manner that causes a plane to bounce around and give a bumpy ride to passengers, this is an example of turbulence.
- When you experience a lot of ups and downs in your personal life, this is an example of a time of turbulence.
- commotion or wild disorder
- violent, irregular motion or swirling agitation of water, air, gas, etc.
Origin: LL turbulentia
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The state or quality of being turbulent: times of turbulence and confusion.
- Turbulent flow.
- An eddying motion of the atmosphere that interrupts the flow of wind.
turbulence - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.