- Trample is defined as to treat harshly or crush with the feet.
An example of trample is squashing flowers while walking through a garden bed.
trample definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English trampelen, frequentative of trampen: see tramp
- trampler noun
trample definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb tram·pled, tram·pling, tram·ples verb, transitive
- To beat down with the feet so as to crush, bruise, or destroy; tramp on.
- To treat harshly or ruthlessly: would trample anyone who got in their way.
- To tread heavily or destructively: trampling on the flowers.
- To inflict injury as if by treading heavily: “trampling on the feelings of those about you” (Thornton Wilder).
Origin: Middle English tramplen, frequentative of trampen, to tramp; see tramp.
- tramˈpler noun
trample - Phrases/Idioms
trample under foot or trample on or trample upon
- to crush or hurt by trampling
- to treat harshly or ruthlessly; domineer over