- An example of sterilize is to perform a vasectomy.
- An example of sterilize is to remove all of the bacteria from a baby's bottle with the use of heat and chemicals.
Sterilize is defined as to make incapable of reproduction, or to make extremely clean.
to make sterile; specif.,
- to make incapable of producing others of its kind, as by removing the organs of reproduction or preventing them from functioning effectively
- to make (land) unproductive
- to make free of living microorganisms, as by subjecting to great heat or chemical action
transitive verbster·il·ized, ster·il·iz·ing, ster·il·iz·es
- To make free from live bacteria or other microorganisms.
- To eliminate the ability of a person or animal to produce offspring, as by altering or removing the reproductive organs.
- a. To make incapable of bearing fruit or germinating.b. To render (land) unfruitful.
- Economics To place (gold) in safekeeping so as not to affect the supply of money or credit.
- To make inoffensive or innocuous: sterilized the terminology with euphemisms.
(third-person singular simple present sterilizes, present participle sterilizing, simple past and past participle sterilized)
- To deprive a male or female the ability to procreate.
- To make unable to produce. To make unprofitable.
- (biology) To kill, deactivate (denature), or destroy (break apart) all living, viable microorganisms and spores that would be on a surface, in a fluid, or contained in a compound, such as culture media or a medical product.