The speaker at a business conference.
- Speaker is defined as an electrical device used to make sound or music louder.
An example of speaker is how music is listened to in a car.
- The definition of a speaker is a spokesperson or a person giving a speech.
An example of speaker is the person who people have gathered around to hear talk about something.
- a person who speaks; esp.,
- a person who makes a speech or speeches in public
- the officer presiding over any of various lawmaking bodies
- ⌂ the presiding officer of the U.S. House of Representativesin full Speaker of the House
Origin of speaker(loud)speaker
- a device consisting of a magnet and a diaphragm of paper, plastic, etc., for converting electrical signals to sound waves that are radiated into the air
- a boxlike enclosure holding one or more such devices
- a. One who speaks.b. A spokesperson.
- One who delivers a public speech.
- often Speaker The presiding officer of a legislative assembly.
- A device that converts electric signals to audible sound.
- One who speaks.
- A native English speaker.
- (politics) The chair or presiding officer of certain legislative bodies, such as the U.K. House of Commons or the U.S. House of Representatives.
- One who makes a speech to an audience.
- The company hired a motivational speaker to boost morale.
- (US) A book containing passages of text for use in speeches.
- (linguistics) The producer of a given utterance, whether actually spoken or not.
speak + -er
speaker - Computer Definition
A device that converts analog audio signals into the equivalent air vibrations in order to make audible sound. When CRT monitors were the norm, speakers designed for computers were shielded to avoid magnetic interference with the CRT's magnetic coil. Getting Smaller All the Time Starting in the 1990s, vendors began to offer higher-quality computer speakers. Similar to home theater and stereo systems, the systems include a pair of small speakers for the midrange and high (treble) frequencies and a large subwoofer for the low end (bass). The small speakers are placed in a left/right stereo orientation, while the subwoofer can be located anywhere on the floor because bass signals are omnidirectional. See sound card, Bluetooth speaker, parametric speaker and subwoofer.