- The definition of solar is relating to the sun, coming from the sun or depending upon the sun.
An example of solar used as an adjective is in the phrase "solar energy," which means energy that comes from the sun.
solar definition by Webster's New World
- of or having to do with the sun
- produced by or coming from the sun: solar energy
- depending upon the sun's light or energy: solar heating
- fixed or measured by the earth's motion with relation to the sun: mean solar time
- Astrol., Archaic under the influence of the sun
Origin: Classical Latin solaris ; from sol, the sun: see Sol
solar definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or proceeding from the sun: solar rays; solar physics.
- Using or operated by energy derived from the sun: a solar heating system.
- Determined or measured in reference to the sun: the solar year.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin sōlāris, from sōl, sun; see sāwel- in Indo-European roots.
solar - Science Definition
- Relating to the Sun.
- Using or operated by energy from the Sun.
- Measured in reference to the Sun.