An example of solar used as an adjective is in the phrase "solar energy," which means energy that comes from the sun.
- of or having to do with the sun
- produced by or coming from the sun: solar energy
- depending upon the sun's light or energy: solar heating
- fixed or measured by the earth's motion with relation to the sun: mean solar time
- Archaic, Astrol. under the influence of the sun
Origin of solarClassical Latin solaris ; from sol, the sun: see Sol
- Of, relating to, or proceeding from the sun: solar rays; solar physics.
- Using or operated by energy derived from the sun: a solar heating system.
- Determined or measured in reference to the sun: the solar year.
Origin of solarMiddle English, from Latin s&omacron;l&amacron;ris, from s&omacron;l, sun; see s&amacron;wel- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more Solar, superlative most Solar)
- Pertaining to the Sun (the star Sol).