- In that degree; to that extent. Used with the comparative form of adjectives: If she wins the award, so much the better for the team.
- In such a degree; to such an extent: The ideas of the candidates are so much alike that he could see no difference between them.
- So great in quantity, degree, or extent: There's been so much rain the crops are rotting in the fields.
- Equivalent or equal in quantity, degree, or extent: The report sounded like so much baloney.
- An unspecified amount or degree: charged so much a yard.
- Everything that can be said or done. Used to summarize or dismiss something: So much for the real story behind this sensational trial.
- Great in quantity, degree etc.
- There has been so much snow, I can't open the door.