- The definition of a sneer is an expression that exhibits contempt or mocking.
An example of a sneer is a mocking smile that someone makes that shows his contempt.
- To sneer is to speak or make an expression that exhibits contempt or mocking.
An example of to sneer is when you give someone a mocking smile as you make fun of them.
A sneering man.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to smile derisively; show scorn or contempt as by curling the upper lip
- to express derision, scorn, or contempt in speech or writing
Origin: Middle English sneren, akin to Frisian sneere, to scorn, Danish snaere, to grin like a dog: see snarl
- to utter with a sneer or in a sneering manner
- to affect in a particular way by sneering: to sneer down a proposal
- an act of sneering
- a sneering expression, insinuation, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A scornful facial expression characterized by a slight raising of one corner of the upper lip.
- A contemptuous facial expression, sound, or statement.
- To assume a scornful, contemptuous, or derisive facial expression.
- To speak in a scornful, contemptuous, or derisive manner.
Origin: From Middle English sneren, to mock, alteration of Old English fnǣran, to breathe heavily; see pneu- in Indo-European roots.
- sneerˈer noun
- sneerˈful, sneerˈy adjective
- sneerˈing·ly adverb