- The definition of a sneer is an expression that exhibits contempt or mocking.
An example of a sneer is a mocking smile that someone makes that shows his contempt.
- To sneer is to speak or make an expression that exhibits contempt or mocking.
An example of to sneer is when you give someone a mocking smile as you make fun of them.
A sneering man.
- to smile derisively; show scorn or contempt as by curling the upper lip
- to express derision, scorn, or contempt in speech or writing
Origin of sneerMiddle English sneren, akin to Frisian sneere, to scorn, Danish snaere, to grin like a dog: see snarl
- to utter with a sneer or in a sneering manner
- to affect in a particular way by sneering: to sneer down a proposal
- an act of sneering
- a sneering expression, insinuation, etc.
- A scornful facial expression characterized by a slight raising of one corner of the upper lip.
- A scornful tone or statement.
verbsneered, sneer·ing, sneers
- To assume a scornful or derisive facial expression.
- To speak in a scornful or derisive manner.
Origin of sneerFrom Middle English sneren, to mock, alteration of Old English fn&aemac;ran, to breathe heavily; see pneu- in Indo-European roots.
- sneer′ful, sneer′y
(third-person singular simple present sneers, present participle sneering, simple past and past participle sneered)
- ernes, Resen