- The definition of a grin is a smile or expression of happiness.
A happy smile on your face is an example of a grin.
- To grin is defined as to smile or make an expression that indicates great happiness.
When you feel very happy and you smile, this is an example of a situation where you grin.
A grinning family.
intransitive verbgrinned, grinning
- to smile broadly as in amusement or pleasure, or, sometimes, in embarrassment
- to draw back the lips and show the teeth in pain, scorn, etc.
Origin of grinMiddle English grennen ; from Old English grennian, to gnash or bare the teeth, akin to Old High German grennan, to mutter, German greinen, to weep
grin and bear it
verbgrinned grinned, grin·ning, grins
- The act of grinning.
- The facial expression produced by grinning.
Origin of grinMiddle English grennen, to grimace, from Old English grennian.
(third-person singular simple present grins, present participle grinning, simple past and past participle grinned) (intransitive)
- (intransitive) To smile, parting the lips so as to show the teeth.
- Why do you grin? Did I say something funny?
- To express by grinning.
- She grinned pleasure at his embarrassment.
- (intransitive, dated) To show the teeth, like a snarling dog.
grin - Computer Definition
See graded index fiber.