A grinning family.
- The definition of a grin is a smile or expression of happiness.
A happy smile on your face is an example of a grin.
- To grin is defined as to smile or make an expression that indicates great happiness.
When you feel very happy and you smile, this is an example of a situation where you grin.
intransitive verbgrinned, grin′ning
- to smile broadly as in amusement or pleasure, or, sometimes, in embarrassment
- to draw back the lips and show the teeth in pain, scorn, etc.
Origin of grinMiddle English grennen from Old English grennian, to gnash or bare the teeth, akin to Old High German grennan, to mutter, German greinen, to weep
grin and bear it
verbgrinned, grin·ning, grins
- The act of grinning.
- The facial expression produced by grinning.
Origin of grinMiddle English grennen to grimace from Old English grennian
(third-person singular simple present grins, present participle grinning, simple past and past participle grinned) (intransitive)
- (intransitive) To smile, parting the lips so as to show the teeth.
- Why do you grin? Did I say something funny?
- To express by grinning.
- She grinned pleasure at his embarrassment.
- (intransitive, dated) To show the teeth, like a snarling dog.
Before 1000 CE - From Middle English grinnen, from Old English grennian compare to Old High German grennan (“to mutter”)
grin - Computer Definition
See graded index fiber.