- Flout is defined as to openly show hatred or disregard toward someone or something.
- An example of flout is someone spitting in another's face and walking away.
- An example of flout is to refuse to abide by a specific law because you don't agree with the law.
flout definition by Webster's New World
- to mock or scoff at; show scorn or contempt for
- to openly disregard, as by rejecting, defying, or ignoring
Origin: probably special use of Middle English flouten, to play the flute, hence, whistle (at)
flout definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb flout·ed, flout·ing, flouts verb, transitive
Origin: Perhaps from Middle English flouten, to play the flute, from Old French flauter, from flaute, flute; see flute.
- floutˈer noun
- floutˈing·ly adverb