Chicken wings on a skewer.
- The definition of a skewer is a wooden or metal rod or pin used to pierce and hold food.
An example of a skewer is the rod that is pierced through the meat on a kebab.
- a long pin used to hold meat together while cooking
- a similar but longer pin used as a brochette
- any of several things shaped or used like a meat skewer
Origin of skewervariant, variety of skiver ; from Old Norse skifa, a slice ; from verb , to slice: see skive
- A long metal or wooden pin used to secure or suspend food during cooking; a spit.
- Any of various picks or rods having a function or shape similar to a skewer.
transitive verbskew·ered, skew·er·ing, skew·ers
- To hold together or pierce with a skewer or other pointed object.
- To ridicule or criticize harshly: a reviewer who skewered the tedious movie.
Origin of skewerMiddle English skuer, perhaps of Scandinavian origin.
(third-person singular simple present skewers, present participle skewering, simple past and past participle skewered)
- To impale on a skewer.
- (chess) To attack a piece which has a less valuable piece behind it.