- The definition of a skewer is a wooden or metal rod or pin used to pierce and hold food.
An example of a skewer is the rod that is pierced through the meat on a kebab.
Chicken wings on a skewer.
skewer definition by Webster's New World
- a long pin used to hold meat together while cooking
- a similar but longer pin used as a brochette
- any of several things shaped or used like a meat skewer
Origin: variant, variety of skiver ; from Old Norse skifa, a slice ; from verb , to slice: see skive
skewer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A long metal or wooden pin used to secure or suspend food during cooking; a spit.
- Any of various picks or rods having a function or shape similar to a skewer.
Origin: Middle English skuer, perhaps of Scandinavian origin.