- The definition of a silhouette is the outline or general shape of an object.
An example of silhouette is a profile drawing of someone cut from black paper.
- Silhouette is defined as to create the general shape or outline of something.
An example of silhouette is to create a sketch of a dress.
The silhouette of a woman.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- an outline, esp. a profile portrait, made either by cutting from black paper and fixing on a light background, or by drawing and then filling in with a solid color
- any dark shape or figure seen against a light background
- the outline of a figure, garment, etc.; contour
Origin: Fr, after Étienne de Silhouette (1709-67), French minister of finance, inch(es) derogatory reference to his fiscal policies and to such amateur portraits by him, both regarded as inept
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A drawing consisting of the outline of something, especially a human profile, filled in with a solid color.
- An outline that appears dark against a light background. See Synonyms at outline.
Origin: French, after Étienne de Silhouette (1709-1767), French finance minister.