There may be a shortfall of qualified auto mechanics in the future because the younger generation is less interested in this career.
If you need 100 barrels of grain and you produce only 40, this is an example of a shortfall.
- A failure to attain a specified amount or level; a shortage.
- The amount by which a supply falls short of expectation, need, or demand.
- An instance of not meeting a quota or of having an insufficient amount.
- Due to a shortfall in revenue we will have to make some cuts.
- The amount by which a quota is missed; the amount missing.
From to fall short