The definition of a shortfall is a shortage or an insufficient amount of something.
If you need 100 barrels of grain and you produce only 40, this is an example of a shortfall.
the act or an instance of falling short, or the amount of the shortage
- A failure to attain a specified amount or level; a shortage.
- The amount by which a supply falls short of expectation, need, or demand.
- An instance of not meeting a quota or of having an insufficient amount.
- Due to a shortfall in revenue we will have to make some cuts.
- The amount by which a quota is missed; the amount missing.
From to fall short