There may be a shortfall of qualified auto mechanics in the future because the younger generation is less interested in this career.
If you need 100 barrels of grain and you produce only 40, this is an example of a shortfall.
- A failure to attain a specified amount or level; a shortage.
- The amount by which a supply falls short of expectation, need, or demand.
- An instance of not meeting a quota or of having an insufficient amount.
- Due to a shortfall in revenue we will have to make some cuts.
- The amount by which a quota is missed; the amount missing.
From to fall short
- Taxpayer money was used to make up an estimated $150 billion shortfall in FSLIC reserves to make sure that savings and loan customers were reimbursed for their losses.
- Deficit-A shortfall or slowdown in development, possibly related to a disorder that slows or interrupts normal childhood development.
- The FHA-insured mortgage will pay a lender any shortfall should a home sell for less than the amount borrowed.
- Fundraising can help your team make up the shortfall where school or organizational funding leaves off.