- for or extending over a short time
- designating or of a bond, capital gain, etc. that involves a relatively short period of time, usually less than a year, for maturity, repayment, amortization, etc. or for computing tax liability
- designating memory involving recent facts or events
Brent signed a short term lease for the apartment because he works temporary assignments for his employer.
An example of short term is a one week lease.
- Involving or lasting a relatively brief time.
- a. Payable or reaching maturity within a relatively brief time, such as a year: a short-term loan.b. Acquired over a relatively brief time: short-term capital gains.
(comparative shorter-term, superlative shortest-term)
- of or pertaining to the near or immediate future.
- This short-term plan deals with the next few days.
- of or pertaining to a short duration of time
- short-term exposure
- Alternative spelling of short-term.
- The near future; a comparatively brief time period starting with the present moment (other time of reference); the time in which immediate needs and goals are relevant.
- Except in attributive uses (treated here as adjectival; see short-term), this term is primarily found in the phrases in the short term and over the short term.
- We put in place short-term measures to reduce the amount of watering we are doing.
- Short-term protection against hepatitis A is available from immune globulin, a preparation of antibodies that can be given before exposure for short-term protection against hepatitis A and for persons who have already been exposed to HAV.
- As a side note, some short-term studies were conducted regarding cholesterol and the Atkins diet that concluded that over a short period of time, LDL or "bad" cholesterol levels dropped for Atkins dieters over this period of time.
- A transient ischemic attack (TIA), also called a "mini stroke," is characterized by a short-term blood vessel obstruction or clot that tends to resolve itself quickly, usually within 10-20 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- It may include a short-term companion to assist an elderly loved one while they recuperate from surgery, or may be a long-term live-in situation for someone who has no guardian and needs help with day-to-day living.