- an outer covering for the human foot, made of leather, canvas, etc. and usually having a stiff or thick sole and a heel: sometimes restricted to footwear that does not cover the ankle, as distinguished from a boot
- something like a shoe in shape or use; specif.,
- a metal cap or ferrule fitted over the end of a cane, pole, staff, etc.
- brake shoe
- a part forming a base for the supports of a superstructure, as a roof, bridge, etc.
- the metal strip along the bottom of a sled runner
- the casing of a pneumatic tire
- the sliding contact plate by which an electric train picks up current from the third rail
- a metal protecting plate upon which a mechanical part moves
ME sho < OE sceoh, akin to Ger schuh < IE base *(s)keu-, to cover > sky, hide
transitive verb shod or shoed, shod or shoed or shodden, shoeing
- to furnish or fit with a shoe or shoes
- to cover, tip, or sheathe (a stick, wearing surface, etc.) with a metal plate, ferrule, etc.