- a flat, -shaped metal plate nailed to a horse's hoof for protection
- anything shaped like this
- a game in which the players toss horseshoes at two facing stakes driven into the ground 40 feet apart, the object being to encircle the stake or come as close to it as possible
Origin: ME horscho, contr. of horsis sho
- horseshoer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A flat U-shaped metal plate fitted and nailed to the bottom of a horse's hoof for protection.
- A U-shaped object similar to a horseshoe.
- horseshoes (used with a sing. verb) A game in which players toss horseshoes or horseshoe-shaped metal pieces at a stake so as to encircle it or come closer to it than the other players.