Variant of shine
- to emit or reflect light; be radiant or bright with light; gleam; glow
- to be eminent, conspicuous, or brilliant; stand out; excel
- to exhibit itself clearly or conspicuously: love shining from her face
Origin: ME schinen < OE scinan, akin to Ger scheinen < IE base *sāi-, to glimmer > Gr skia, shadow
- to direct the light of: to shine a flashlight
- to make shiny or bright by polishing: to shine shoes
- brightness; radiance
- luster; polish; gloss
- ☆ shoeshine
- splendor; brilliance; show
- sunshine; fair weather
- ☆ Informal a trick or prank: usually used in pl.
- ☆ Slang black (): a vulgar term of hostility and contempt
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.