- a person or thing that shines
- pl. -·ers or -·er any of a number of freshwater minnows (esp. genus Notropis) with silvery scales
- Slang black eye (sense )
- One that shines, as a star, jewel, or coin.
- Slang A black eye: got a real shiner from stumbling into the door.
- a. Any of numerous small, often silvery North American freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae, especially one of the genus Notropis.b. Any of various other small silvery fishes.
- One who shines; a luminary.
- (colloquial) A black eye.
- coon eyes
- (slang, dated) A bright piece of money.
- Any of numerous species of small freshwater American cyprinoid fishes of Notropis, Minnilus, and allied genera, such as the redfin.
- Any silvery fish, such as the horsefish, menhaden, or moonfish.
- The common Lepisma, or furniture bug.
- (slang) A moonshiner.
- A small reflective surface used for cheating at card games.