Kelsie manipulates people by making them feel sorry for her, but it's just a self serving ploy to get her own way.
An example of self-serving is a lie told to make yourself look better.
- Serving one's own interests, especially without concern for the needs or interests of others.
- Exhibiting concern solely for one's own interests: a speech full of self-serving comments.
(comparative more self-serving, superlative most self-serving)
- Said of people, attitudes, perspectives, etc.
- To illustrate the self-serving bias with regard to success, I will draw on my own experiences.
- Lying that is consistently self-serving with no prosocial motive is a serious issue.
- She's drop-dead gorgeous but she is also self-serving, narcissistic and a little nasty.
- Is this the speech you prepared for your sister, or is it merely self-serving advice?
- She's a conniving, self-serving, arrogant creature. Heartless, too.