- The definition of self contained refers to something or someone that is complete on its own and that doesn't need anything else.
- An example of self contained is an all-in-one stereo system that has the speakers, wire and receiver and doesn't need anything else.
- An example of self contained is a person totally content with his own company and not needy for the love, company or support of others.
self-contained definition by Webster's New World
- keeping one's affairs to oneself; reserved
- showing self-command or self-control
- having all working parts, complete with motive power, in an enclosed unit: said of machinery
- having within oneself or itself all that is necessary; self-sufficient, as a community
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- self-containment noun
self-contained definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Constituting a complete and independent unit in and of itself: A self-contained dictionary defines every word contained within it.
- a. Not dependent on others; self-sufficient: a self-contained settlement in the Arctic.b. Keeping to oneself; reserved.
- selfˌ-con·tainˈment noun