- The definition of poised is a calm and assured person.
An example of poised is someone sitting quietly in the lotus position.
- composed; calm; self-assured
- suspended, as in motion; readied: an opponent poised to strike
- Assured; composed.
- Held balanced or steady in readiness: stood poised for the jump.
Variant of poise
- balance; stability
- ease and dignity of manner; self-assurance; composure
- the condition of being calm or serene
- carriage; bearing, as of the body or head
- Now Rare
- a suspension of activity in a condition of balance
- suspense; irresolution; indecision
Origin of poiseMiddle English pois, weight ; from Old French ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form pesum ; from Classical Latin pensum, something weighed ; from pendere, to weigh: see pendant
transitive verbpoised, poising
- to balance; keep steady
- to suspend: usually passive or reflexive
- Rare to weigh
Origin of poiseME poisen < OFr poiser < peise, inflected form of peser, to weigh < VL pesare < L pensare, to weigh out < pensus, pp. of pendere
- to be suspended or balanced
- to hover