- composed; calm; self-assured
- suspended, as in motion; readied: an opponent poised to strike
Felicia looks poised as she sits in Lotus Pose.
The definition of poised is a calm and assured person.
An example of poised is someone sitting quietly in the lotus position.
- Assured; composed.
- Held balanced or steady in readiness: stood poised for the jump.
- Jonathan was poised to enter his teens in style and a deformed left arm wasn't going to hold him back.
- It poised for a moment and then took a dive off the cliff.
- Poised in the middle of turning a page, she froze.
- The country was beautiful, poised on the edge of spring.
- About two hundred yards away a lone wolf stood poised for flight, watching them cautiously.