- The definition of a reversal is a change in the opposite direction, or a cancellation.
An example of a reversal is a bank removing late charges from an account.
- a reversing or being reversed; esp., a change to the opposite as in one's fortune
- Law annulment, change, or revocation, as of a lower court's decision
Origin of reversalLate Middle English reversall: see reverse and amp; -al
- a. The act or an instance of reversing.b. The state of being reversed.
- A usually adverse change in fortune: financial reversals.
- Law The act or an instance of changing or setting aside a lower court's decision by a higher court.
- Sports A maneuver in wrestling in which a competitor being controlled by the opponent suddenly reverses the situation and gains control.
- Intended to reverse; implying reversal.
reverse +"Ž -al.
reversal - Investment & Finance Definition
A change in direction of a market that is identified by technical analysis. For instance, a rising market that reaches a peak and then begins to move lower is a reversal.
reversal - Legal Definition