regressive definition by Webster's New World
- regressing or tending to regress
- of, like, or characteristic of regression
- designating a tax that becomes proportionately lower as the tax base increases
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- regressively adverb
regressive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Tending to return or revert.
- Characterized by regression or a tendency to regress.
- Decreasing proportionately as the amount taxed increases: a regressive tax.
- Of or relating to geological regression.
- re·gresˈsive·ly adverb
- re·gresˈsive·ness noun
regressive - Medical Definition
- Having a tendency to return or to revert.
- Characterized by regression.
- regressiveness noun