Red hair is a recessive gene but freckles are a dominant gene.
- The definition of recessive is going back to a former state.
An example of something recessive is a third grade student doing first grade math.
- Recessive is defined as a gene with characteristics which are not as strong as those on a dominant gene.
An example of a recessive is the gene for blue eyes.
- receding or tending to recede
- Genetics designating or relating to that one of any pair of allelic hereditary factors which, when both are present in the germ plasm, remains latent
Origin of recessivefrom Classical Latin recessus (see recess) + -ive
- Tending to go backward or recede.
- a. Genetics Of, relating to, or designating an allele that does not produce a characteristic effect when present with a dominant allele.b. Of or relating to a trait that is expressed only when the determining allele is present in the homozygous condition.
- A recessive allele or trait.
- An organism having a recessive trait.
(comparative more recessive, superlative most recessive)
- Going back; receding.
- (genetics) Able to be covered up by a dominant trait.