- The definition of recessive is going back to a former state.
An example of something recessive is a third grade student doing first grade math.
- Recessive is defined as a gene with characteristics which are not as strong as those on a dominant gene.
An example of a recessive is the gene for blue eyes.
- receding or tending to recede
- Genetics designating or relating to that one of any pair of allelic hereditary factors which, when both are present in the germ plasm, remains latent
Origin of recessive; from Classical Latin recessus (see recess) + -ive
- Tending to go backward or recede.
- a. Genetics Of, relating to, or designating an allele that does not produce a characteristic effect when present with a dominant allele.b. Of or relating to a trait that is expressed only when the determining allele is present in the homozygous condition.
- A recessive allele or trait.
- An organism having a recessive trait.
(comparative more recessive, superlative most recessive)
- Going back; receding.
- (genetics) Able to be covered up by a dominant trait.