Jim always wears his helmet when he rides his recumbent bike .
- An example of a recumbent position is someone swinging in a hammock with their eyes closed.
- An example of a recumbent bike is a bike where someone sits down and leans back while peddling the bike.
The definition of recumbent is a person or thing lying down or resting.
- lying down; reclining; leaning
- resting; idle
- Biol. designating a part that leans or lies upon some other part or surface
Origin of recumbentClassical Latin recumbens, present participle of recumbere from re-, back + -cumbere; akin to cubare, to lie down: see cube
- Lying down, especially in a position of comfort or rest; reclining.
- Resting; idle.
- Biology Resting on the surface from which it arises. Used of an organ or other structure.
A recumbent bicycle.
Origin of recumbentLatin recumbēns recumbent- present participle of recumbere to lie down re- re- cumbere to lie
- re·cum′bence re·cum′ben·cy
From Latin present participle recumbens, from verb recumbere