The definition of recumbent is a person or thing lying down or resting.adjective
- An example of a recumbent position is someone swinging in a hammock with their eyes closed.
- An example of a recumbent bike is a bike where someone sits down and leans back while peddling the bike.
- lying down; reclining; leaning
- resting; idle
- Biol. designating a part that leans or lies upon some other part or surface
Origin: L recumbens, prp. of recumbere < re-, back + -cumbere; akin to cubare, to lie down: see cube
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Lying down, especially in a position of comfort or rest; reclining.
- Resting; idle.
- Biology Resting on the surface from which it arises. Used of an organ or other structure.
Origin: Latin recumbēns, recumbent-, present participle of recumbere, to lie down : re-, re- + cumbere, to lie.
- re·cumˈbence, re·cumˈben·cy noun
- re·cumˈbent·ly adverb
recumbent - Medical Definition
- recumbence, re·cumˈben·cy noun