- The definition of prurient is something lewd or related to an excessive interest in sex.
A sexually explicit glance is an example of a prurient glance.
prurient definition by Webster's New World
- having or expressing lustful ideas or desires
- tending to excite lust; lascivious; lewd
- Rare itching
Origin: Classical Latin pruriens ; from prurire, to itch, long for, be lecherous ; from Indo-European base an unverified form preus-, to burn, freeze from source Classical Latin pruna, live coal
prurient definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Inordinately interested in matters of sex; lascivious.
- a. Characterized by an inordinate interest in sex: prurient thoughts.b. Arousing or appealing to an inordinate interest in sex: prurient literature.
Origin: Latin prūriēns, prūrient-, present participle of prūrīre, to yearn for, itch; see preus- in Indo-European roots.
- pruˈri·ence, pruˈri·en·cy noun
- pruˈri·ent·ly adverb
prurient - Legal Definition