- The definition of carnal is something related to the body or the flesh.
An example of something that would be described as carnal is a desire for physical contact that is driven by lust.
- in or of the flesh; bodily; material or worldly, not spiritual
- having to do with or preoccupied with bodily or sexual pleasures; sensual or sexual
Origin of carnalMiddle English and amp; Old French ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin carnalis, fleshly (in contrast to spiritalis, spiritual) ; from Classical Latin caro (gen. carnis), flesh: for Indo-European base see harvest
have carnal knowledge of
- Relating to the physical and especially sexual appetites: carnal desire.
- Worldly or earthly; temporal: the carnal world.
- Of or relating to the body or flesh; bodily: carnal remains.
Origin of carnalMiddle English, from Old North French carnel, from Latin carnālis, from Latin carō, carn-, flesh; see sker-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more carnal, superlative most carnal)