- The definition of a potato is a starchy brown or red-skinned growth of a plant in the nightshade family.
An example of a potato is the food from which french fries are made.
A pile of potatoes.
- sweet potato
- the starchy, brown-skinned or red-skinned tuber of a widely cultivated plant (Solanum tuberosum) of the nightshade family, eaten as a cooked vegetable; Irish potato; white potato
- this plant
Origin of potatoSpanish patata, variant, variety of batata, sweet potato ; from Taino name
- a. A perennial plant (Solanum tuberosum) in the nightshade family that was first cultivated in South America and is widely grown for its starchy edible tubers.b. A tuber of this plant.
- Any of various wild plants in the genus Solanum that are similar to the cultivated potato.
- A sweet potato. See Note at tater.
Origin of potatoSpanish patata, alteration (probably influenced by Quechua papa, white potato) of Taíno batata, sweet potato.