- The definition of a patio is a paved outside area off of a house or a building that is used as a seating or living space.
The concrete slab that you have off of your back kitchen door where you have a table and chairs and a sofa for outside seating and activities is an example of your patio.
Flowers decorate this patio.
patio definition by Webster's New World
- ☆ a courtyard or inner area open to the sky, as in Spanish and Spanish-American architecture
- ☆ a paved area, as one adjacent to a house, with chairs, tables, etc. for outdoor lounging, dining, or the like
Origin: Spanish ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form patium, open area, aphetic for Classical Latin spatium, space, influenced, influence by patere, to lie open, stretch out: see fathom
patio definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. pat·i·os
- An outdoor space for dining or recreation that adjoins a residence and is often paved.
- A roofless inner courtyard, typically found in Spanish and Spanish-style dwellings.
Origin: Spanish, from Old Spanish, possibly from Old Provençal patu, pati, pasture, perhaps from Latin pactum, agreement; see pact.