The definition of a porch is a covered entrance, or an outdoor seating area on a building or house.
An example of a porch is a space to put chairs on which to sit outside during the summer.
- a covered entrance to a building, usually projecting from the wall and having a separate roof
- an open or enclosed gallery or room on the outside of a building, as a veranda or sun porch
- Obs. a portico
Origin of porchMiddle English porche ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin porticus ; from porta, gate, entrance, passage: see port
- A covered platform, usually having a separate roof, at an entrance to a building.
- An open or enclosed gallery or room attached to the outside of a building; a veranda.
- Obsolete A portico or covered walk.
Origin of porchMiddle English porche, from Old French, from Latin porticus, portico, from porta, gate; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.
From Middle English porche, from Old French, from Latin porticus (“portico").