- The definition of a porch is a covered entrance, or an outdoor seating area on a building or house.
An example of a porch is a space to put chairs on which to sit outside during the summer.
porch definition by Webster's New World
- a covered entrance to a building, usually projecting from the wall and having a separate roof
- an open or enclosed gallery or room on the outside of a building, as a veranda or sun porch
- Obsolete a portico
Origin: Middle English porche ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin porticus ; from porta, gate, entrance, passage: see port
porch definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A covered platform, usually having a separate roof, at an entrance to a building.
- An open or enclosed gallery or room attached to the outside of a building; a verandah.
- Obsolete A portico or covered walk.
Origin: Middle English porche, from Old French, from Latin porticus, portico, from porta, gate; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.