Ostensibly is defined as apparently or seemingly.
An example of ostensibly is someone saying that he was just a dog owner when, in fact, he was a dog breeder, he was ostensibly a dog owner.
- Thus the Italians, during the heat of the civil wars, were ostensibly divided between partisans of the ~ ~ empire and partisans of the church.
- To kill some time I telephoned Ethel Reagan, ostensibly to thank her.
- "No one out here but the cook," he answered as Paul reached for the bottle, ostensibly to look at the label.
- In 1670 Razin, while ostensibly on his way to report himself at the Cossack headquarters on the Don, openly rebelled against the government, captured Cherkask, Tsaritsyn and other places, and on the 24th of June burst into Astrakhan itself.
- Mid-morning, Fred O'Connor came by, ostensibly out for a stroll, casually asking for the list of newspaper subscribers.