having to do with or undergoing mutation
Origin of mutant; from Classical Latin mutans, present participle of mutare, to change: see miss
- an organism that exhibits mutation (sense )
- in science fiction, an organism monstrously altered, as by radiation
- An organism, cell, virus, or gene resulting from genetic mutation.
- Slang One that is suggestive of a genetic mutant, as in bizarre appearance or inaptitude.
- Resulting from genetic mutation: a mutant strain of bacteria.
- Slang Suggestive of a genetic mutant.
Origin of mutantLatin m&umacron;tans, m&umacron;tant-, present participle of m&umacron;tare, to change; see mutate.
- That has undergone mutation.
- (informal) Strange, abnormal, or bizarre.
Latin mutans, present participle of mutare.