having to do with or undergoing mutation
Origin of mutantfrom Classical Latin mutans, present participle of mutare, to change: see miss
- an organism that exhibits mutation (sense )
- in science fiction, an organism monstrously altered, as by radiation
- An organism, cell, virus, or gene resulting from genetic mutation.
- Slang One that is suggestive of a genetic mutant, as in bizarre appearance or inaptitude.
- Resulting from genetic mutation: a mutant strain of bacteria.
- Slang Suggestive of a genetic mutant.
Origin of mutantLatin mūtāns, mūtant- present participle of mūtāre to change ; see mutate .
- That has undergone mutation.
- (informal) Strange, abnormal, or bizarre.
Latin mutans, present participle of mutare.