- The definition of literary is something connected to books or formal writing.
An example of literary used as an adjective is the phrase literary magazine, a magazine about writing.
literary definition by Webster's New World
- of, having the nature of, or dealing with literature
- of or having to do with books or writing: literary agents
- characterized by the more formal, balanced, and polished language of literature rather than the informal language of speech
- familiar with or versed in literature
- making literature a profession
Origin: Classical Latin litterarius ; from littera, letter
- literariness noun
literary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or dealing with literature: literary criticism.
- Of or relating to writers or the profession of literature: literary circles.
- Versed in or fond of literature or learning.
- a. Appropriate to literature rather than everyday speech or writing.b. Bookish; pedantic.
Origin: Latin litterārius, of reading and writing, from littera, lītera, letter; see letter.
- litˌer·arˈi·ly adverb
- litˈer·arˌi·ness noun