A person using a computer keyboard.
An example of keyboard is where the arrangement of keys "QWERTY" is found.
- the row or rows of keys of a piano, typewriter, linotype, computer terminal, etc.
- a musical instrument with a keyboard; esp., an electronic piano, synthesizer, etc. as employed in a rock or jazz group
- to set (type) using a keyboard typesetting machine
- to write or input by means of a keyboard
- A panel of buttons used for typing and performing other functions on a computer or typewriter.
- Music a. A row of levers that are depressed with the fingers to produce or modulate the sound of an instrument, such as a piano or organ.b. Any of various instruments, played by means of a musical keyboard, often connected to a synthesizer or amplifier.
transitive verbkey·board·ed, key·board·ing, key·boards
- a. To set (copy) by means of a keyed typesetting machine: keyboard a manuscript.b. To enter (text or data) into a computer by means of a keyboard.
- Music To play (a composition) on a piano or keyboard.
- key′board′er key′board′ist
- A set of keys used to operate a typewriter, computer etc.
- (music) A component of many instruments including the piano, organ, and harpsichord consisting of usually black and white keys that cause different tones to be produced when struck.
- (music) A device with keys of a musical keyboard, used to control electronic sound-producing devices which may be built into or separate from the keyboard device.
(third-person singular simple present keyboards, present participle keyboarding, simple past and past participle keyboarded)
keyboard - Computer Definition
A simple computer input device comprising a set of alphabetic, numeric, punctuation, symbol, control, and function keys mounted on a board or other flat surface or control panel.When the user depresses a key or a combination of keys, a coded signal is sent to the computer. If the key is associated with a character, the computer echoes the signal by displaying the character on the monitor. See also keypad.
There are numerous entries for the types of keyboards used with computers and mobile devices in this encyclopedia, as follows: Major Categories Subcategories Models computer keyboard PC keyboard PC/XT keyboard AT keyboard Enhanced keyboard Windows keyboard smartphone keyboard cellphone keyboard virtual keyboard KALQ keyboard Swype Keyboard Layouts QWERTY keyboard Dvorak keyboard AZERTY keyboard Internet keyboard POS keyboard programmable keyboard thumb keyboard Keyboard Architectures physical keyboard chiclet keyboard mechanical keyboard membrane keyboard portable keyboard chorded keyboard ergonomic keyboard premium keyboard Keyboard Models Das Keyboard Avant Stellar keyboard Bat keyboard Maltron keyboard OmniKey keyboard Butterfly keyboard