The definition of a journeyman is a trained or skilled worker who is qualified to be employed by someone else in a specific trade.noun
A trained electrician who is beyond the stage of apprentice is an example of a journeyman.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
noun pl. journeymen
- Obsolete a worker for a daily wage
- a worker who has served an apprenticeship and is therefore qualified to work at a specified trade
- any sound, experienced, but not brilliant craftsman or performer
Origin: ME < journee (see journey), in sense “day's work” + man
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ.
- An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.
Origin: Middle English journeiman : journei, a day's work; see journey + man, man; see man.
journeyman - Business Definition
- An experienced worker who performs adequately, but not at the highest level. For example, a journeyman in baseball can often play several positions and fill in when a starter is injured or needs a rest.
- A skilled craftsman who has completed an apprenticeship but has not yet met requirements as a master.
journeyman - Cultural Definition
A skilled artisan who works on hire for master artisans rather than for himself.