- The definition of a journeyman is a trained or skilled worker who is qualified to be employed by someone else in a specific trade.
A trained electrician who is beyond the stage of apprentice is an example of a journeyman.
- Obsolete a worker for a daily wage
- a worker who has served an apprenticeship and is therefore qualified to work at a specified trade
- any sound, experienced, but not brilliant craftsman or performer
Origin of journeymanMiddle English ; from journee (see journey), in sense “day's work” + man
- One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ.
- An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker: “Most scientists are semiliterate journeymen with respect to the humanities” (Edward O. Wilson).
Origin of journeymanMiddle English journeiman : journei, a day's work; see journey + man, man; see man.