- Present participle of invoke.
Variant of invoke
transitive verbinvoked, invoking
- to call on (God, a god, a saint, the Muses, etc.) for blessing, help, inspiration, support, etc.
- to resort to or put into use (a law, ruling, penalty, etc.) as pertinent: to invoke an article of the U.N. Charter
- to call forth; cause
- to summon (evil spirits) by incantation; conjure
- to ask solemnly for; beg for; implore: to invoke aid
Origin of invokeMiddle English invoken ; from Middle French invoquer ; from Classical Latin invocare ; from in-, in, on + vocare, to call ; from vox, voice