- The definition of ineffable is something that is not able to be expressed.
- An example of ineffable is overwhelming sadness that one does not know how to show.
- An example of ineffable is the name of a deity that cannot be said out of respect.
ineffable definition by Webster's New World
- too overwhelming to be expressed or described in words; inexpressible: ineffable beauty
- too awesome or sacred to be spoken: God's ineffable name
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin ineffabilis ; from in-, not plush effabilis, utterable ; from effari, to speak out ; from ex-, out plush fari, to speak: see fame
ineffable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Incapable of being expressed; indescribable or unutterable. See Synonyms at unspeakable.
- Not to be uttered; taboo: the ineffable name of God.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin ineffābilis : in-, not; see in-1 + effābilis, utterable (from effārī, to utter : ex-, ex- + fārī, to speak; see bhā-2 in Indo-European roots).
- in·efˌfa·bilˈi·ty, in·efˈfa·ble·ness noun
- in·efˈfa·bly adverb