- The definition of ineffable is something that is not able to be expressed.
- An example of ineffable is overwhelming sadness that one does not know how to show.
- An example of ineffable is the name of a deity that cannot be said out of respect.
- too overwhelming to be expressed or described in words; inexpressible: ineffable beauty
- too awesome or sacred to be spoken: God's ineffable name
Origin of ineffableMiddle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin ineffabilis ; from in-, not + effabilis, utterable ; from effari, to speak out ; from ex-, out + fari, to speak: see fame
- Incapable of being expressed; indescribable or unutterable: ineffable joy.
- Not to be uttered; taboo: the ineffable name of God.
Origin of ineffableMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin ineffābilis : in-, not; see in–1 + effābilis, utterable (from effārī, to utter : ex-, ex- + fārī, to speak; see bhā-2 in Indo-European roots).
- in·ef′fa·bil′i·ty, in·ef′fa·ble·ness
- (beyond expression in words): noisy