- Indian is defined as something or someone relating to India or its people, or to Native Americans.
An example of Indian used as an adjective is in the phrase "the Indian language."
- The definition of an Indian is a person born in India or a Native American.
An example of an Indian is a Mohawk.
A rural Indian family in traditional clothing.
- of India or its peoples, languages, or cultures
- of the East Indies or their peoples or cultures
- of American Indians or their languages or cultures; Native American
- of a type used or made by Indians
- ☆ made of maize, or Indian corn
Origin of IndianLate Latin Indianus ; from Classical Latin India
- a person born or living in India or the East Indies
- American Indian; Native American
- popularly any of the languages spoken by American Indian peoples
- Of or relating to India or the East Indies or to their peoples, languages, or cultures.
- Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples except the Eskimos, Aleuts, and Inuits.
- a. A native or inhabitant of India or of the East Indies.b. A person of Indian or East Indian ancestry.
- a. A member of any of the Native American peoples except the Eskimos, Aleuts, and Inuits.
- See Indus2.