- Indian is defined as something or someone relating to India or its people, or to Native Americans.
An example of Indian used as an adjective is in the phrase "the Indian language."
- The definition of an Indian is a person born in India or a Native American.
An example of an Indian is a Mohawk.
A rural Indian family in traditional clothing.
- of India or its peoples, languages, or cultures
- of the East Indies or their peoples or cultures
- of American Indians or their languages or cultures; Native American
- of a type used or made by Indians
- ☆ made of maize, or Indian corn
Origin of IndianLate Latin Indianus ; from Classical Latin India
- a person born or living in India or the East Indies
- American Indian; Native American
- popularly any of the languages spoken by American Indian peoples
- Of or relating to India or the East Indies or to their peoples, languages, or cultures.
- Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples except the Eskimos, Aleuts, and Inuits.
- a. A native or inhabitant of India or of the East Indies.b. A person of Indian or East Indian ancestry.
- a. A member of any of the Native American peoples except the Eskimos, Aleuts, and Inuits.
- See Indus2.
- Of or relating to India or its people; or (formerly) of the East Indies. [from 14th c.]
- (dated) Of or relating to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. [from 16th c.]
- (North America) Of foods: made with Indian corn or maize. [from 17th c.]
- (chess) Designating any of various chess openings now characterised by black's attempt to control the board through knights and fianchettoed bishops rather than with a central pawn advance. [from 19th c.]
- A person from India. [from 13th c.]
- A member of one of the indigenous peoples of the Americas (generally excluding the Aleut, Inuit, Metis, or Yupik). [from 16th c.]
- (now rare, historical) An indigenous inhabitant of Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific islands. [from 18th c.]
- (UK, colloquial) A meal at (taken away from) an Indian restaurant. [from 20th c.]
- We're going out tonight for an Indian.
- (nonstandard) Any language spoken by Indians.