- formed from a model; reproducing the qualities of an original or another
- given to imitating; inclined to imitate others
- not genuine or real; imitation
- approximating in sound the thing or action signified; echoic: said of such words as hiss, ripple, clang
Origin of imitativeLate Latin imitativus
- Of or involving imitation.
- Not original; derivative.
- Tending to imitate.
(comparative more imitative, superlative most imitative)
- Imitating; copying; not original.
- Modelled after another thing.