- The definition of a hermaphrodite is a person or animal that has both male and female sexual organs or characteristics.
A plant with both stamens and pistils is an example of a hermaphrodite.
hermaphrodite definition by Webster's New World
- a person or animal with the sexual organs of both the male and the female
- a plant having stamens and pistils in the same flower
- hermaphrodite brig
Origin: altered (modeled on Classical Latin or Gr) ; from Middle English hermofrodite ; from Classical Latin hermaphroditus ; from Classical Greek hermaphroditos, ; from Hermaphroditos, Hermaphroditus
hermaphrodite definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An animal or plant exhibiting hermaphroditism.
- Something that is a combination of disparate or contradictory elements.
Origin: Middle English hermofrodite, from Medieval Latin hermofrodītus, from Latin Hermaphrodītus, Hermaphroditus, hermaphrodite; see Hermaphroditus.
- her·maphˌro·ditˈic adjective
- her·maphˌro·ditˈi·cal·ly adverb
hermaphrodite - Medical Definition
- hermaphroditic adjective
hermaphrodite - Science Definition