A plant with both stamens and pistils is an example of a hermaphrodite.
- any of various animals, as the earthworm, possessing both male and female sexual organs
- an individual possessing secondary sex characteristics and gonadal tissue of both the male and female of its species
- a plant having stamens and pistils in the same flower
- hermaphrodite brig
Origin of hermaphroditealtered (modeled on Classical Latin or Gr) ; from Middle English hermofrodite ; from Classical Latin hermaphroditus ; from Classical Greek hermaphroditos, ; from Hermaphroditos, Hermaphroditus
- An animal or plant exhibiting hermaphroditism.
- Something that is a combination of disparate or contradictory elements.
Origin of hermaphroditeMiddle English hermofrodite, from Medieval Latin hermofrod&imacron;tus, from Latin Hermaphrod&imacron;tus, Hermaphroditus, hermaphrodite; see Hermaphroditus.
(comparative more hermaphrodite, superlative most hermaphrodite)