Intersex is defined as a general term covering a variety of conditions in which a person's sex characteristics - including chromosomes, gonads or genitals - are not distinct to either a male or female.
An example of intersex is a person born with the chromosomes and ovaries of a woman and with external male genitals.
Biol. an individual having anatomical characteristics that are neither typically male nor typically female
- An intersexual individual.
- The condition of being intersexual.
- Any of a variety of conditions (in a dioecious species) whereby an individual has characteristics of both sexes.
- (biology, zoology) An individual with an any of these conditions.
- (of an individual) Intersexed, having characteristics of both sexes.
- Recently the term intersex has been preferred to hermaphrodite as being more scientifically and politically correct.