hemp definition by Webster's New World
- a tall Asiatic herb (Cannabis sativa) of the hemp family, grown for the tough fiber in its stem
- the fiber, used to make rope, sailcloth, etc.
- a substance, such as marijuana, hashish, etc., made from the leaves and flowers of this plant
- any of various plants yielding a hemplike fiber, as the sisal or Manila hemp
- this fiber
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English hænep (akin to German hanf, Dutch hennep) ; from Proto-Germanic an unverified form hanapa- ; from an unverified form kanab-, a pre-Gmc borrowing ; from a (? Scythian) base from source Classical Greek kannabis: akin uncertain or unknown; perhaps to Sumerian kunibu, hemp
hemp definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The tough, coarse fiber of the cannabis plant, used to make cordage.
- a. Any of various plants similar to cannabis, especially one yielding a similar fiber.b. The fiber of such a plant.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English hǽnep.