The headquarters for the Department of Defence is the Pentagon.
- An example of headquarters is the main office of Coca Cola in Atlanta where the executives and managers are located.
- An example of headquarters is the area where the general and other commanders are located and give orders from during a war.
- the main office, or center of operations and control, of anyone in command, as in an army or police force
- the main office or center of control in any organization
plural nounused with a sing. or pl. verb
- The offices of a commander, as of a military unit, from which orders are issued.
- A center of operations or administration: The company has its headquarters in the suburbs.
Usage Note: The noun headquarters can be used with either a singular or a plural verb. The plural is more common: The corporation's headquarters are in Boston. But when referring to authority rather than physical location, many people prefer the singular: Division headquarters has approved the new benefits package.