- one of the tendons at the back of the human knee
- the large tendon at the back of the hock in a four-legged animal
- any of three large muscles that form the back of the thigh and work together to flex the leg, extend the thigh, etc.in full hamstring muscle
transitive verb-·strung·, -·string·ing
- to disable by cutting a hamstring
- to lessen considerably or destroy the power or effectiveness of
- Any of the tendons at the rear hollow of the human knee.
- or hamstrings The hamstring muscle.
- The large tendon in the back of the hock of a quadruped.
transitive verbham·strung, ham·string·ing, ham·strings
- To cut the hamstring of (an animal or a person) and thereby cripple.
- To destroy or hinder the efficiency of; frustrate: “These worthwhile books are often hamstrung by unimaginative formats and inaccurate art” ( Don Lessem )